Boarhills Doocot Restored
The 17th century doocot which had been ruinous for many years has been
transformed by a village community group following a 5-year campaign.
Boarhills and Dunino Community Trust bought the small plot of land on the
edge of Boarhills on which the doocot stands in 2018, with support of the
Scottish Land Fund.
The intention was to make a community green space, with an orchard. An
additional ambition was to restore the historic building. Finally, with financial
assistance of Fife Environment Trust, St Andrews Heritage Trust and St
Andrews Community Trust, as well as the local community council, community
fund raising events and individual donations, the project has been completed.
The project was guided by Conservation Architects Simpson and Brown, with
skilled restoration work being carried out by local firms FA Sweeney
(stonemasons), Daniel Wilkie (joinery) and Jordan Denwette (roofing).
The community was fortunate to have a photograph of the doocot taken in
1892 which informed the restoration. The building is immediately adjacent to
the Fife Coastal Path and is now a wonderful landmark on this popular walking
The doocot will be open as part of the Doors Open celebrations on 2 and 3